Despite what I thought previously the cause of my nausea might not be heart failure, as changing my Furosemide schedule has dramatically improved it. Not gone, but certainly minimised, to a level at which I can live with, and mostly disregard, it.
I initially moved my Furosemide away from my main morning COPD and pain meds at 06.00, into isolation at 08.00, and halved the dose. That, to my everlasting amazement, quickly fixed the nausea problem. The downside was that the reduced dose caused body cavities to fill with fluid. I gained over 3 kilos in a week, every gram of it fluid** – that’s three litres sloshing around inside me (a millilitre of water, which it mostly is, with some electrolytes and proteins, weighs a gram, so a kilo = a litre. It had to go.
**My diet changed not an iota, and that’s held my weight steady for months so, logically, it’s fluid.
So, a few days ago, having little in the way of an alternative**, I went back to the full dose of Furosemide, 80mg.
**Well, OK, I did have an alternative – but it involved the hospital and long needles! And thanks to my newly-acquired needle phobia – thank you very bloody much, Arrowe Park!** – I wanted to try my way first.
**The link takes you to the reason for my phobia.
Of course, I’ve barely stopped peeing since, but I’m shedding a lot of fluid, which was my aim. I’m getting my appetite back too, which is a nice bonus. The fluid in my abdominal cavity had been constricting my stomach, wrecking my appetite by artificially making me feel full. It affected my breathing, too, as my chest cavity also became somewhat waterlogged.
Today, and my feet and legs are killing me with all the walking back and forth to the bathroom every 15 minutes, sometimes less, until the Furosemide wears off, but it’s working. I haven’t weighed myself, but I can see past my waist again, which is good.
Progress, then, is being made. I’ve stopped puking, eaten, in a display of confidence that I no longer need it as a nausea remedy, and because I love the stuff, my emergency stash of crystallised ginger, and after writing this (mostly yesterday evening), I managed a plateful of Long Clawson Stilton, slathered in my DIY beetroot and redcurrant relish, with a couple of handfuls of sour cream and chive thins to help it on its way.
I’d have liked a bottle of beer, too, but that would have been pushing my luck…
Maybe next week.
PS: The beetroot and redcurrant jelly is even better puréed, as a sauce. I now need to find something to keep it in suspension, to stop the beetroot settling out. I’m working on that and the recipe will be published when finalised. And it will be a proper recipe by then, not just a DIY combination of two existing products.