The new treatment for my leg is going well…
I know some of the following has already been said, but not everyone reads every post so some repetition is necessary for clarity.
As you can see from the following pics, my use of wet dressings over the weekend (Aquacel Ag plus sterile normal saline solution, as recommended in the PIL), is having a beneficial effect on my lesions. The first pic is last Monday’s, the other is from this morning, after a weekend of wet dressings.
You’ve probably seen this pic from November which, by the turn of the year had come down to just a group of 4 small lesions. Two tiny ones, which have pretty much healed, and two larger ones, which are proving a little recalcitrant.
The big problem was that leaving the dressings in place for up to 4 days, caused them to stick so tightly that they couldn’t be removed, even after soaking in a bucket of warm water, without causing damage and, basically, stopping the healing process in its tracks. Even reversing it at times. I was going nowhere, despite trying to remain upbeat in my Leg Reports (and this is not just me gratuitously posting gross pictures – there are people who do actually care).
So, anyway, as I’ve said, I decided to go with the wet dressings, and the results have been impressive.
Today was a nurse day, and I was expecting resistance to my idea. The staff nurse, though she later introduced some unfounded objections, was good – in the face of the evidence of healing I would have expected no less.
She was accompanied by an auxiliary whom, in the past, I’ve described as too pushy by half, and as soon as I saw her come through the door I knew she’d be trouble. She’s one of those people who, in the face of someone else’s good idea, invariably wants to do something different. Today was no exception!
So I slapped her down** (metaphorically, despite the temptation). We were, I said, going with what I’d just spent 10 minutes describing, and she could see the results for her self .
**No discussion, no wiggle room, no hint of compromise – I knew what I needed and I intended to have it.
She got down on her knees, peered closely at the lesions, looking for problems, and found none.
The staff nurse, though, had had time to think of some objections of her own, pointing out a patch of skin and telling me it was “maceration” which is the softening and breaking down of living skin due to excessive moisture. In this case, however, she was wrong. It’s a thick layer of dead skin (the light-coloured area surrounding the lesions in the second pic, above) which has built up due to the difficulty of removing it with it being so close to an open wound. I have, though, been treating it with Eumovate Ointment (prescribed by the Dermatology Unit), which as well as clearing up the eczema that’s causing the build-up of dead skin, by its greasy nature it binds the dead skin and stops it flaking into the wound. It can then be removed as it comes loose. I removed a lot today, but the patch the nurse spotted wasn’t quite ready. Pull it off too soon and it’ll leave a bleeding wound behind; most of the time this will heal without problems, but the location militates against creating another lesion, no matter how small, so it can wait until it’s ready to come off naturally, which will be in a day or two.
So, objections dealt with, and a pointless alternative brushed aside, we finally got on with the job of redressing.
In addition to the above, I’m also washing both legs with Octenisan, an antibacterial wash prescribed when I had MRSA, before each dressing change. This, I hope, will help prevent any further infections. Once my legs are dry, Eumovate is applied to treat the eczema. Progress is slow, though at least it keeps the flaky skin in check.